The Giro d’Italia last week confirmed the route for the 2022 edition and we have now released our our Giro d”Italia tour taking in the the last week, that will follow the tour to three of our favourite locations, Turin, Bormio and the Veneto.
We will commence the tour with two nights in Turin, before transferring to Bormio and then finally to the Prosecco laden hills in the Venetian countryside. Across the 8 days of riding we will cover 530km and climb 11 314m of elevation.
For our complete Giro Cycling Tour itinerary click here, The 2022 tour highlights include:
- Day 1 – A warm up ride will roll out to of Turin to the lakes of Avigliana, with the monastery of Sacra San Michele sitting on the horizon.
- Day 2 – We’ll ride the same circuit as the pro and then watch the race at the top of one of the climbs before rolling down to see the finale on the banks of the Po river.
- Day 3 – We’ll transfer to Bormio in the morning and then take a light ride up to Lago di Cancano in the afternoon.
- Day 4 – We’ll climb the iconic Passo dello Stelvio, with it’s awesome 34 switchbacks.
- Day 5 – We will take on the mercilessly steep gradients of Passo Mortirolo before watching the peloton race over the top of the pass.
- Day 6 – We’ll be in the thick of the action at the stage start in Ponte di Legno and then transfer to our next location with a light spin through the prosecco vines in the afternoon.
- Day 7 – We’ll ride up to Passo San Boldo and then watch the final sprint stage take on the 16% slope of the Muro di Ca del Poggio at the 50km to go mark.
- Day 8 – On our final day, we’ll climb the mystical Monte Grappa.
True to the accommodation styles of each of the regions of Piemonte, Lombardia and the Veneto, we have secured authentic, high quality accommodation in each of the 3 locations we’ll stay in:
Torino, Piemonte; Positioned in the heart of Turin and just metres from where the Giro action will be, our hotel personifies Turin’s style and character, bringing together old and contemporary, and offering all the comfort you’ll need post ride. Turin is a city to explore by foot and we’ll be in walking distance to all the bars, restaurants, shops, galleries and museums of this beautiful, historic city, once the capital of Italy.
Bormio, Lombardia; Situated in the centre of the upper Valtellina valley, and at the foot of Passo Gavia and Passo dello Stelvio, Bormio is a much loved cycling town and a popular winter sports resort. The town also has several hot springs that have been tapped to provide water to three thermal baths. We’ll be based at a family run agriturismo just outside of town and well positioned to take in the very best of Bormio and its magnificent alpine surrounds.
Conegliano -Treviso, Veneto; nestled between Conegliano and Treviso lies our historic Venetian villa that once was a residence of Venetian nobles and today exudes the style and character of the Veneto in the form of an exceptional accommodation home with magnificent suites. Set on beautiful parklands and with the Prosecco hills on our doorstep, it’s the perfect location for us to be amongst the Giro action and end our tour in true style.
Eat & Drink
The food and wine experience is a big feature on all of our tours and none more so than on our Giro cycling tour in 2022, where we will traverse the regions of Piemonte, Lombardia and the Veneto – our 3 absolute favourite northern regions of Italy for food and wine. Some taste sensations you can expect on tour include:
- Ravioli del Plin; a pasta taste sensation that is nudged only by Tajarin, the ultra fine and delicious homemade egg pasta of Piemonte
- Vitello Tonnato, thin slices of veal served with a tuna sauce.
- Pizzoccheri pasta; a winter warming, mountain pasta from the Valtellin
- Langhe Nebbiolo, Dolcetto, Valtellina inferno and Valpolicella red wines.
- Tiramisu; the Veneto is home to Italy’s famous dessert and you’ll experience it at its best
- Polenta Taragna; our favourite polenta, teamed with mouth watering cheese
- Braulio; one of our all time favourite digestives
- Bresaola; air dried salted beef that will make it into many a mid-ride panino
- Baccala mantecato; a seafood favourite on the best Cicchetti plates around the Veneto
- Cartizze Prosecco; the ultimate Prosecco
Being amongst the action of the Giro is always exciting, and even more so with some of the riding and non-riding experiences we have lined up as part of our Giro 2022 tour, including:
- The option of access to the VIP enclosure at a stage start
- Watching the race on a mountain top pass on a critical stage
- The final sprint stage along Prosecco Road
- A rustic dinner cooked with fire and charcoal
- Roman baths and massages in the mountain air
- Prosecco wine tasting
- Passo dello Stelvio
- Dinner in a converted 14th century stable
If you’re interested in seeing the action of the Giro with us in May 2022, we have only 6 spots remaining.